Our little family of three is awesome. At least, I like to think so. With both Chuck and I working full time and our hectic schedules, work travel and Ava’s activities, it can be hard for us to connect as a family. But, through it all we have found our own ways to make sure we share special things that are just for us. I guess you could say that we have developed some unique eccentricities. Here’s our top 10 family quirks:
- Ava calls me Momsies (mom zees). I have no idea where she got this from, but I think it’s hilarious. There are definitely worse things she could call me.
- I call her Wilson. Especially when she’s being silly or ridiculous. I’ll throw her a little “are you kidding me, Wilson?” And yes, I think of Castaway. Every single time.
- She calls her daddy Big Guy. As in “Come here big guy!” Yes, she even says it in the hilarious deep voice you are thinking of in your read right now.
- Ava calls us “Suckers!” Heres the scenario: we tell Ava to go upstairs and clean her room. eight times out of ten she already has. That typically elicits an “I already did, suckers!” sure, it may be inappropriate, but damn it’s funny.
- Evil laughs. We all work on perfecting our evil laughs together. All kinds of things require an evil laugh. You never know when it will come in handy.
- We call each other crazy. We own our crazy. You might say we revel in it.
- We make up words to songs. We use pop songs to discuss random things or add stupid lyrics. Like, Suit and Tie. I still laugh hysterically because Ava wondered why that boy wanted to “show you where the poop is.”
- We hide from each other. It’s our daily ritual. Rarely do we all come home at the same time. The parent who is home will hide Ava and pretend like we forgot to pick her up that day. Then we pretend to party or make crazy plans to do something outrageous, like sell the house and move to Hawaii, until she comes out of hiding. Love it.
- Scaring each other is big deal. There is a lot of sneaking up on each other in this house. Nothing is sacred. I pretty much live my life constantly on guard if one of them is not in my direct line of sight.
- Ava already wears my coats and she’s seven. Yeah, I’m only 5’1″ but isn’t sharing clothes with a seven year old a little odd?
The list goes on… Having these small moments, or quirks, that belong to just us three is pretty awesome. Some people think we are weird or say that we let her get away with saying too many crazy things. But I think we are just fine. Crazy yes, but mostly just fine.
What are some of the crazy things you do with your family?